Thursday, February 28, 2019
LOCATION: Kitchener & Waterloo
HOURS: Full Time (salaried, benefits and vacation)
FUNCTION: This incumbent is responsible to function as a member of the HFA Program Team to deliver quality programs and services to our members and participants. This includes maintaining a safe aquatic environment at all times, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system.
- Ensure all safety and life guarding procedures are adhered to, and in the event of an emergency respond as trained by the Association
- Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order in designated area as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention
- Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans, daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations
- Maintain accurate up-to-date progress sheets and records for participants
- Keep Daily Log up to date and accurate
- Set up and take down recreational, program and other equipment as required. At the same time check that equipment is safe and in good repair. Report all malfunctions and remove the damaged equipment immediately from circulation. Perform safety checks on lifesaving equipment prior to each shift
- Perform cleaning duties
- Assist in the supervision and leadership of assistant instructors and volunteers
- Attend workshops, trainings, conferences and staff meetings as required
- Assume other duties as assigned
- National Lifeguard - Pool
- 1-3 months of life guarding/instructing experience (an asset)
- Lifesaving Society, Red Cross and/or YMCA swim instructor Certification
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Acceptable Police Check for Vulnerable Sector
- Aquatic Fitness Instructor Certification is an asset
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner to support information sharing.
Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results.
Initiative: Knows when to do the right thing.
Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to create enthusiasm and appreciation to achieve work related goals.
Tolerance for Ambiguity: Functions effectively in situations of less than perfect or incomplete information.
In addition to the above competencies the Association Core Competencies are required: Commitment to Organization Vision and Values, Diversity, Integrity, Teamwork.
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values, as well as a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults.
When applying, please quote Full Time Lifeguard/Instructor to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace, welcoming applications from all qualified persons. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation need known to the YMCA. The YMCAs comply with the Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Legislation and privacy laws. In keeping with privacy laws, we are committed to protecting personal information by following responsible information handling practices. For more information on the YMCAs commitment to privacy, please visit our web site at www.ymcacambridgekw.ca