Friday, September 20, 2019
Position Title: Senior Program Instructor
Reports To: Coordinator, Programs
Status: Full-Time (35 hours per week)
Location: Variety Village, Scarborough, ON
Located in southwestern Scarborough, Variety Village is an inclusive, adaptive and family friendly facility serving more than 30,000 individuals each year. Variety Village has had, and continues to have, a profound impact on the lives of people with disabilities and their families. Through adaptive sport and recreation programming, outreach and education, Variety promotes inclusion and healthy living through adapted physical activity.
Variety Village is currently seeking a Full-Time Senior Program Instructor to assist in the delivery of front line programs for a wide range of demographics. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic individual who is able to adapt programs to promote inclusion and meet the needs of people with disabilities and as well as able-bodied clientele.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitating active programming, including aquatics to promote inclusion and well-being;
- Ensuring a safe and stimulating environment for program participants;
- Overseeing the safety of members who using the Fieldhouse, Cardio and Weight room and pools;
- Promoting active living opportunities and participation for people with disabilities;
- Assisting with equipment maintenance ensuring it is regularly checked and in good/safe working order;
- Being acutely familiar with emergency protocols and procedures;
- Responding to emergencies as required;
- Positive approach to work and able to lead by example’
- Participating in promoting teamwork including motivating/assisting other staff, reporting to Coordinators as necessary;
- Maintaining accurate participant attendance and evaluation records;
- Attending staff meetings as required; including staff in-service sessions;
- Participating in and adhering to mandatory training, including, but not limited to: Plan to Protect, AODA and Health and Safety;
- Following established Variety Village policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Valid Standard First Aid with CPR-C and AED is required;
- National Lifeguard and Red Cross Instructor Certificates are considered a strong asset;
- Post-secondary education in Recreation / Leisure, Sports Administration, Physical Education a strong asset;
- Excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills;
- The ability to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekends;
- Experience in adapted physical education and instruction;
- Proven self-starter with the ability to work independently or as part of a team;
Applicants should be prepared to participate in a multi-stepped interview process and the successful applicants will be requested to complete a Criminal Record Check.
Interested applicants should submit a covering letter including salary expectations and resume by September 20, 2019 to:
Human Resources Department
3701 Danforth Ave.
Scarborough, ON M1N 2G2
Please note that requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements outlined in the job posting. Applicants should to make their requirements known when contacted.
While only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted, we sincerely thank all applicants in advance.
To learn more about Variety Village, please visit