Sunday, December 1, 2019
The City of Markham's pool facilities offer public swim, swimming lessons, aquafit classes and rentals. We have indoor lifeguard roles open at Aaniin Community Centre & Library, Angus Glen Community Centre & Library, Centennial Community Centre, Cornell Community Centre & Library, Milliken Mills Community Centre & Library, Thornhill Community Centre & Library, Thornlea Pool and Pan Am Pool.
Enjoy a positive and rewarding work environment with flexible scheduling options as you share your enthusiasm for aquatics.
The City of Markham has a variety of lifeguarding opportunities available to qualified youth and adults at its facilities across the City. Work close to home, build your confidence and leadership skills and stay active and fit doing something you love.
As a Lifeguard for the City of Markham Recreation Services Department, your primary role will be to maintain the safety of people using our swimming pool area. Specifically, you will:
- Provide excellent customer service and encourage pool users to practice safe and enjoyable swimming
- Patrol and observe the swimming pool area ensuring pool rules are being adhered to
- Check rescue equipment and discuss scanning approach with team
- Ensure correct patron-to-lifeguard ratios are met at all times
- Apply basic life support and first aid as required
- Complete pool deck set-up and clean-up
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning
- Know emergency procedures
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work well with other staff.
- Experience with cash management would be an asset
In addition to being at least 16 years old, you have the following required current qualifications:
- Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard
- Lifesaving Society Standard First Aid with CPR C w/ Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Lifesaving Society Airway Management
Skills & Competencies:
Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change
Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
Please include your Lifesaving ID number on your resume. Certifications that will expire during your work term must be re-certified prior to your start date. If you are registered for an applicable course, please list it on your resume along with the registration dates.
Note: All qualifications must be current from the beginning to the last day of each session. Qualifications that are due to expire during a session must be re-certified prior to the start of the season and staff will be required to provide proof of registration for the re-certification.
Phone: (905) 477-7000
Please submit your resume and cover letter on-line through the City of Markham website https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/about/employment by December 1, 2019.