Friday, January 31, 2020
Camp Oochigeas is a privately funded organization that provides children with cancer and children affected by childhood cancer with a unique opportunity for growth through challenging, fun, enriching and magical experiences.
Reports to: Assistant Manager, Overnight Programs
Dates: June 17th to August 30th, 2020
Oochigeas is a volunteer based program and the following position is one of the senior team leaders of a paid summer staff team. In addition to facilitating the designated program area, it is the responsibility of the all-summer staff to actively support and provide resources to our over 500 volunteers throughout the summer.
Primary responsibility will be overseeing the swim program and paddle sports programs, along with leading a team of volunteer lifeguards to provide a safe and engaging program for campers aged 6-18. Planning, training and coordinating waterfront emergency procedures also fall under their duties. In addition, the Head of Waterfront is responsible for supporting volunteer instructors, and overseeing the safety of all waterfront activities including swimming, paddle boarding, canoeing and kayaking with the support of the summer Waterfront Instructors and Paddle Sports instructor.
1. Planning (5%):
a) Monitor and report on the achievement of Overnight Program plans and Waterfront Program plans
2. Programming and Facilitation (50%):
a) Instruct Red Cross swimming levels in a lake waterfront environment
b) Lifeguard recreational waterfront swimming and paddle sport activities
c) Fill as instructor when team members are on time off or unable to fulfill their duties
d) Adapt and adjust curriculum and activities from session to session based on feedback and experiences
3. Volunteer and Camper Support (20%)
a) Lead, train and coach summer staff and volunteer team in waterfront emergencies and emergency procedures as well as participate in risk management and Overnight Camp emergency procedures
b) Assist in facilitation of on-site volunteer trainings
c) Coach and support volunteers in planning, prepping, and execution of camp wide programs, theme, and other activities
d) Support, coach, and lead volunteers in achieving safe, fun, and engaging programs.
e) Assist volunteers in providing general support and supervision to campers
f) Support with summer bus programs and bus chaperoning as needed
g) Attend and participate in various program areas, staff meetings, and socials as required
4. Supervision and Management (15%)
a) Supervising, directing and overseeing the instruction and experience of all participants (campers and staff) on the waterfront.
b) In collaboration with Camp Management, supervision of the waterfront team of summer staff team (Canoe/Kayaking/Paddle boarding Instructor and Waterfront Instructors), including offering feedback, performance evaluation, and program development.
c) Scheduling of all staff and volunteer lifeguards
d) Oversee and monitor program curriculum planning and development to maintain program standards during growth
5. Communication and Administration (10%)
a) Tracking and documenting of camper and volunteer swim test results
b) Evaluate and asses safety of the waterfront and ensure camp waterfront procedures and activities are in line with the OCA standards.
c) Collaborate and communicate with Medical Team and Head of Camp Support to properly support and care for campers on the waterfront
Particular Working Conditions
- In consideration of the populations Ooch serves, the incumbent is a non-smoker
- This position requires living at the Ooch Muskoka campsite for the duration of the contract – room and board is provided.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions and supporting camp life require the following physical demands: lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. The job is largely performed in an outdoor lake environment.
The minimum physical requirements for this position include:
· Able to physically assist camper participants from the water
· Able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
· Able to lift 20kg
Equal Employment Opportunity
Camp Oochigeas invites applications from all qualified individuals. Camp Oochigeas is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Upon request, Camp Oochigeas will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that take into account the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages.
All members of the summer staff team must be at least 19 years of age. This is a paid residential summer contract position at our site near Rosseau, Ontario. All hires will be
contingent on positive references, a police check with vulnerable sector and a medical screening. If you have questions please contact Miriam Paas, Overnight Camp Manager at 416-961-6624 x 256.
For more information please visit our website at www.ooch.org. Our application process is ongoing. Job opportunities will be posted at www.ooch.org until they are filled.
- Experience as a staff or volunteer in a camp environment and/or working with children in a recreational setting
- Experience supervising staff and/ or volunteers
- Experience working with children with special needs
- Experience facilitating waterfront programming and management of waterfront activities and lifeguard teams
- National Lifeguard certification
- Lifesaving Society or Red Cross Swim Instructor Certification
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s License (can be reimbursed by Ooch)
- An understanding of the power of camp
- Experience in outdoor education or adventure education
- Experience facilitating adaptive programming.
- Overnight camping experience (does not need to be canoe trips)
- Demonstrated ability to work with children with serious illnesses and an understanding of how illness impacts the entire family
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector
- A current driver’s license, and eligible to be insured under Camp Oochigeas’ Insurance Policy
Our application process is ongoing. Job opportunities will be posted at www.ooch.org until they are filled. Screening will begin January 6th, 2019
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Subject line must state “Application to Head of Waterfront”
464 Bathurst St.