Sunday, December 1, 2019
As Swim Instructor for the City of Markham Recreation Services Department, you will provide direct leadership, instruction and motivation in helping our swim program participants achieve and surpass Lifesaving Society, City of Markham and other association standards.
In addition to contributing to a positive and safe environment for everyone, you will:
- Provide direct instruction and evaluation of program participants
- Plan and organize class through daily lesson plans and long-term core plans to ensure progressive learning
- Maintain class safety through formations and proper scanning techniques
- Educate all facility users on safe and enjoyable swimming practices
- Check rescue equipment and discuss your scanning approach with the team
- Complete pool deck set-up and clean-up
- Apply basic life support and first aid as required
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning
- Know emergency procedures
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work well with other staff
- Experience with cash management is an asset
In addition to being at least 16 years old, you will need the following required current certifications:
- Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross OR Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard
- Lifesaving Society Instructor
- Lifesaving Society Swim and Emergency First Aid Instructor
- Lifesaving Society Standard First Aid with CPR C with Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Lifesaving Society Airway Management
Skills and Competencies:
- Service Excellence: meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization
- Change and Innovation: responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change
- Teamwork and Relationship Building: interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships
- Communication: communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way, demonstrates active listening
- Accountable and Results Oriented: demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation
- Management and Leadership: demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example
*Please include your Lifesaving ID number on your resume. Certifications that will expire during your work term must be re-certified prior to your start date. If you are registered for an applicable course, please list it on your resume along with the registration dates.
Note: All qualifications must be current from the beginning to the last day of each session. Qualifications that are due to expire during a session must be re-certified prior to the start of the season and staff will be required to provide proof of registration for the re-certification.
Phone: (905) 477-7000
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter on the City of Markham website https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/about/employment by December 1, 2019.