Thursday, October 31, 2019
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School is one of the world’s foremost training institutions for aspiring young dancers and teachers. Attracting students from across the country and around the world, NBS is the only ballet academy in North America to provide elite dance training, academic instruction and residential care on the same campus. The School’s progressive curriculum, with its emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being of the student, has put NBS at the forefront of dance training internationally.
Making dance relevant to all persons through its philosophy of ‘sharing dance’ sees NBS engaging a diverse mix of participants, from school children to people living with Parkinson’s Disease, in both on and off-site classes.
Canada’s National Ballet School is currently accepting applications for the part-time position of:
Reporting to the Conditioning Co-ordinator, the position is responsible for monitoring the activities of swimmers in the pool and on the deck to prevent accidents, as mandated by the Lifesaving Society, and providing assistance in the event of emergencies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Safeguarding swimmers by being attentive at all times; explaining pool rules, hazards, and dangers; warning swimmers of improper activities or danger; enforcing pool regulations and water safety policies;
- Monitoring safety of pool area by examining chemical levels; checking water levels; enforcing pool closure procedures when necessary; monitoring safety equipment;
- Reacting to emergency situations by using National Lifeguard techniques and methodology; rescuing swimmers in distress or danger of drowning; administering first aid and CPR in the event of injury;
- Preparing and maintaining appropriate activity reports by following established procedures- examples may include recording chemical test results on the Pool Log Sheet; reporting all accidents/incidents; updating the daily log on the working condition of the pool phone; monitoring first aid supplies, etc.;
- Providing teaching assistance by correcting swimming techniques and assisting with conditioning classes as requested by Conditioning Coordinator.
- Current National Lifeguard certification; CPR; First Aid;
- Previous experience as a Lifeguard;
- Strong swimming ability;
- Leadership skills when enforcing the rules of the pool area;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with a variety of students, staff, and external bodies;
- Ability to use good judgment and remain calm in stressful situations;
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification would be considered a strong asset.
Successful candidates must supply Canada’s National Ballet School with a Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through Human Resources at NBS.
Qualified applicants should email applications, including resume, cover letter, and copies of current NL, First Aid and CPR certifications, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Lifeguard – September 2019” in the subject line of your email ASAP or by October 20, 2019*.
Canada’s National Ballet School is located at 400 Jarvis St., Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G6.
Please visit www.nbs-enb.ca for more information.
NBS is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.
NBS thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
*Applications will be reviewed as they are received.