Friday, June 5, 2020
As the 4 year cycle for the Sport Commission membership comes to a close, the Sport Commission is looking to fill vacant chair/representative positions. The chairs will develop and lead operational subcommittees to complete tasks as established by the Sport Commission in order to meet the objectives and priorities set by the Lifesaving Society Board of Directors.
Sport Commission - Sport Commission - High Performance Chair
To manage and support the high performance athlete program.
The High Performance Chair reports to the Sport Commissioner and is expected to follow allconditions as set out in the Sport Commission Terms of Reference.
Although reporting to the Commissioner, the High Performance Chair may work with thefollowing in order to achieve its objectives:
- Sport Commission members
- National Team Manager
- National Team Head Coach
- Chief Executive Officer and/or National staff
- International Lifesaving Federation
- Royal Life Saving Society Commonwealth
- Any other group or individual as approved by the Commission
Terms & Conditions
- The High Performance Chair is a voting member of the Lifesaving Sport Commissiongovernance structure. Voting members of the Sport Commission can be volunteers orstaff (National or Branch).
- Voting members can sit for four (4) years with the option of reapplying for an additional two (2) year term.
- Individuals who resign, are relieved from their position or who are deemed inactive shall be removed from the Commission.
- Attend Sport Commission meetings, to include the annual in-person meeting, as per thecurrent Sport Terms of Reference. Report to the Sport Commission on success anddirection of the high performance program.
- Coordinate work of volunteers and staff in completing action plan items.
- Voting members can establish both standing and term operational sub-committees consisting of volunteers, National staff or Branch staff. Committee members are not eligible to vote but can attend a Commission meeting upon the invitation of the Commissioner.
- The following standing committee(s) fall under the High Performance portfolio:
- National Championships
- National Team
- Selections Committee
- Chair of the Selections Committee for the National Team, National Team Manager(s)and National Team Head Coach (coaches).
- Oversees the annual evaluation of National Team Athletes, National Team Manager(s)and National Team Head Coach (coaches).
- Member of the Selections Committee for the annual Athlete Awards.
- Works with the Sport Commissioner to select international competitions for Team Canada to attend and develop/release selection criteria for international events.
- Works with the National Team Manager and National Team Head Coach in preparing forinternational competitions.
- Works with the National Team Manager and National Team Head Coach in organizing and implementing training camps and training plans for high performance athletes.
- Works with the Development Chair in the development of young athletes and manages the Train to Win component of the LTAD.
- Undertake other roles and activities aligned with the strategic plan and assigned by the Lifesaving Society Canada Board of Directors which are consistent with the purpose of the High Performance portfolio.
Skill Set and Knowledge Areas
- National and/or International experience as an athlete, coach, official or manager.
- Hold a Current National Lifeguard certification or Lifesaving Instructor award or higher.
- Available to attend Sport Commission meetings and operational subcommittee meetings.
- Available to travel to National Championships and international competitions (subject toneed and funding).
- Ability to speak in English and French is an asset.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of interest along with a full resume to: