Tuesday, October 25, 2022
Reports to: Manager, Facility & Programs
Status: Full-Time, Supervisory
Schedule: 35 hours per week, 5 days per week, schedules are subject to change
Location: Variety Village, Scarborough ON
Located in southwestern Scarborough, Variety Village is an inclusive, adaptive and family friendly facility serving more than 30,000 individuals each year. With approximately one half of its members with a disability, Variety Village has had, and continues to have, a profound impact on the lives of adults and children with disabilities and their families. Variety is seeking an enthusiastic, goal driven individual to join the team responsible for ensuring a positive and safe experience for our members.
Reporting to the Manager, Facility & Programs the incumbent’ main responsibilities will be overseeing the safe, orderly and efficient operation of the facility while maintaining a full staffing complement of facility coverage. Maintaining a safe and enjoyable environment for users of the facility is a priority. Responsibilities include the supervision of staff, and ensuring equipment is maintained in good working order and safe for member use. In addition, the Facility Coordinator will have a key role in the staff training sessions that are held each session for new and existing facility staff. The successful candidate will lead by example, and develop and guide their team. The successful candidate will be an individual who is a big picture thinker, adaptable and flexible with outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring the facility is staffed at appropriate levels at all times by managing facility staff including responding to dropped shifts and other attendance requests and issues;
- Managing Variety’s scheduling application, When I Work and related staffing;
- Prioritizing effectively and responding to facility issues on a daily basis;
- Working with Human Resources to appropriately address performance management issues;
- Participating in the staff recruitment and selection process;
- Ensuring customer facing staff perform their duties in a professional and customer centric manner;
- Leading the delivery of Staff In-service training sessions throughout the year, in cooperation with Manager, Facility and Programs and department Coordinators;
- Conducting regular equipment checks for safety, condition and also to monitor wear;
- Researching and recommending equipment purchases, repairs and replacements as per replacement plan;
- Preparing purchase orders and managing the purchasing process, once P.Os are approved;
- Responding to various facility issues while working closely with Variety’s Building Services staff;
- Handling and/or responding to customer complaints, de-escalating member conflicts and answering queries;
- In cooperation with other supervisors, ensuring all legislative requirements are adhered to, including Health & Safety, AODA and Plan to Protect;
- Maintaining an acute awareness of established Variety Village emergency protocol procedures;
- Attending various meetings as required;
- Making recommendations concerning overall facility operations and/or member experience;
- Adhering to all Variety policies and procedures;
- Assisting with Variety Village on-site special events and facility upgrade work;
- Other duties as required.
- Valid NL, Standard First Aid with CPRC and AED required;
- First Aid instructor and Examiner an asset.
- Appropriate post-secondary education in Recreation / Leisure, Sports Administration, Physical Education or similar;
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and issues effectively;
- Previous success in a supervisory/leadership role;
- Excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Proven self-starter with the ability to work independently or as part of a team;
- The ability to work a flexible schedule;
- Knowledge of Health & Safety protocols;
- Disability awareness including accessibility provisions and services, adapted equipment and adapted sport/recreation programming.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, including salary expectations and resume to the Human Resources office by end of business prior to October 25, 2022 Candidates should be prepared to participate in a multi-step interview process. A criminal check will also be required. For more information about Variety Village, please visit: www.varietyvillage.on.ca.
3701 Danforth Avenue
Scarborough, ON M1N 2G2
Please note that requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements outlined in the job posting. Applicants should to make their requirements known when contacted. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, and advise that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.