Friday, December 13, 2019
Nature and scope: Provides instructions on water safety, accident prevention, first aid and rescue skills as well as a variety of swimming techniques based on the Red Cross Water Safety Program curriculum. Delivers age appropriate lessons that build skills and confidence at every level of the Program, from beginner to lifeguard and swim instructor certification, engaging members in the learning process while having fun.
Reports to: Operations Manager
Hours: Part-Time, Monday – Friday (approximately 3:00pm-8:00pm), Saturday & Sunday mornings
Unionized: Liuna Local 183
- Provide safe supervision of groups of members during instructional swims.
- Introduce members to water safety rules and how to respond in an emergency situation.
- Conduct initial swim evaluations at the start of the session to determine skill level of each member.
- Create appropriate lesson plans that address the skill level and age of the group or individual, helping them learn the progressive skills required to pass specific levels of the Red Cross Water Safety Program/Lifesaving Society.
- Ensure equipment and tools needed for each lesson are operational and are placed in the appropriate area of the pool deck (e.g. toys, noodles, flutter boards and so on); return cleaned equipment and tools to storage after use.
- Demonstrate specific skills and strokes.
- Employ a variety of instructional methods designed to keep members focused on learning while maximizing lesson time.
- Conduct ongoing swim evaluations during the lessons and record progress of each member. Prepare detailed report cards at the end of the session.
- Provide feedback to parents when a member has failed to pass a level.
- Work collaboratively with other staff to maintain a safe and hygienic aquatic centre.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
- Comply with all Health Regulations, relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Current National Lifeguard (NL) certification
- Current Instructor certification – Lifesaving Swim Instructor preferred; Red Cross WSI and/or Lifesaving Society Instructor and EFA instructor also accepted
- Experience working with children and youth in recreational or aquatic setting preferred
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR (mandatory)
- Clear vulnerable sector police record check (mandatory)
Interested applicants, should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com ASAP as we are looking to fill the position immediately.