Monday, November 30, 2020
Description of Position & Responsibilities
- Supervision of swimming activities at the aquatics facility at Havergal College.
- Administers first aid in the event of injury, rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning, and administers CPR and/or artificial respiration, if necessary.
- Ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures of Havergal College are followed.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Responsible for the hygiene and cleaning the pool after each session in conjunction with Toronto Public Health recommendations for Covid-19 protocols in aquatic settings.
- Administer swim tests to students and accurately records swim tests results.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed/requested by the PHE department.
Qualifications and Skills
- Current National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS) or equivalent
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR Level C
- Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
- Have a minimum of 2 years of lifeguarding experience
- Knowledge and ability to evaluate water conditions of the Havergal College pool to determine any potential dangers or hazards.
- Swimming proficiency and comfort in a swimming pool
- Ability to judge and evaluate evolving dynamics of individuals participating in aquatic activities to immediately assess their capabilities and threats to their safety
- Knowledge of on-site protocols, operational procedures, and safety policies
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for providing on-site emergency medical services
- Reliability, interpersonal skills, attention to details and thorough record keeping.
- Strong communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to the changing and sometimes last minute changes to programming.
- Energy and enthusiasm needed to engage students of all ages in an aquatic environment.
Nice to have:
- Current Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructors Certification (or equivalent)
- Experience in swim instruction
Please submit your resume by email to the attention of Carla Di Filippo, Athletics Director
HOURS OF WORK
Most working hours are between 8 am and 5:00 pm. Hours will range depending on demand and can be assigned ahead of time to fit your schedule. Rate of pay is between $20-$25/hour.