Thursday, September 30, 2021
Title: Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
Status: Full Time, 1 Year Term
Salary: $53,023.93 per annum, 35 hour/week
Allowance: $20,907.43 per annum
Union Status: Unionized
Closing Date: Open until filled
Reporting to the Aquatics Program Supervisor, the Lifeguard / Swim Instructor is responsible for the supervision and control of activities, safety standards, providing high quality customer service and cleanliness of the aquatic facility. The Lifeguard / Swim Instructor is responsible for supervision of the guests in the pool area while on shift and expected to exercise mature judgement in carrying out lifeguarding and swim instructing duties. They will teach a wide variety of swim programs and preform rescues and first aid as required.
- Must be minimum 16 years of age with a grade 10 education;
- National Lifeguard Service Award
- Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor
- First Aid and CPR – C
- Vision Requirement: Candidates will, at the discretion of the City of Iqaluit, confirm vision standard of minimum 20/25 corrected
Preferred Education, Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently in written and orally;
- Must be able to perform skills to the NLS standard.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts including daytime, evenings, weekends and split shifts.
- Must be able to maintain required certification.
- WHMIS Certification;
- Pool Operations Level 1;
- First Aid and CPR Instructor;
- High Five (PCD);
- Aquafit Certification (CALA, Canfit, Waterart);
- NCCP Coaching Level 1;
- Experience working with a Recreation Management System;
- The ability to speak and write in English and Inuktitut.
Please visit our website https://www.iqaluit.ca/careers to apply.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate must provide a clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector as well as a satisfactory TB Screening.
We will only contact those who are invited for an interview.
As per Article 23 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement, priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claim Beneficiaries who meet the criteria.