Thursday, March 24, 2022
- Ensures a safe waterfront aquatic environment for participants through supervision, accident prevention, rescue skills, public education and public relations.
- Ensures the safety and supervision of participants on swimming beach and in waterfront swimming areas. Patrols designated area on land or by using watercrafts.
- Liaises with other agencies and services such as Toronto Police, Marine Unit, Paramedic and Fire Services, etc., and provides assistance to drowning prevention measures and rescue efforts in areas surrounding waterfront swimming areas, as required.
- Acts as a first point of contact for the above mentioned agencies and services for water and non-water related incidents within the designated area.
- Executes emergency procedures and uses safety / rescue equipment.
- Ensures compliance with relevant Regulations, By-laws, and all relevant policy and procedures manuals.
- Ensures that the equipment is in place and operational and that the equipment is stored away after use.
- Monitors and controls access to the program / area.
- Ensures safety signs / flags are posted and clearly visible at all times. Informs participants of hazards and safety rules.
- Performs administrative tasks to support the program, including report writing and written communication.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training sessions.
- Performs maintenance/janitorial duties including but not restricted to: cleaning and disinfecting, water quality tests, equipment and station set-up and clean-up.
- Must be minimum 16 years of age.
- Current National Lifeguard Pool or National Lifeguard Waterfront certification.
- Pleasure Craft Operator card.
- Must produce original current Standard First Aid and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation certifications as recognized by the WSIB and the Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act –Regulation 565
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the National Lifeguard Waterfront certification within the first year of employment and continue to meet the certification standards.
- Must attend and successfully complete related mandatory and in-service training sessions – Recreation T.O. or Returning Employee Orientation (REO).
- You possess certification in Parks and Recreation Ontario's Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHCD). Applicants who meet all other qualifications can view the City of Toronto's Leadership Guide to find and register for PHCD course, in order to meet this qualification. Please note, during the Covid-19 pandemic, applicants will be provided with access to an Online PHCD workshop upon being successful in the job competition.
Note 1: Applicants must meet the criteria to be considered and will be contacted to participate in a physical skills assessment and interview.
Note 2: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
Community Recreation Programmer
Original posting and online application can be found at:
Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the Requisition ID and the job title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.
Vulnerable Sector Check: One of the requirements for working with children and vulnerable adults is applicants providing the results of a Vulnerable Sector Check. For Recreation Worker positions, we are only able to consider candidates who obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check. Once an applicant is given a conditional offer of employment, we will obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check for applicants who reside within the City of Toronto. Applicants who reside outside of the City of Toronto will need to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check from their local Police Service. For further information on the vulnerable sector screening, please contact your local Police Service.