Monday, July 18, 2022
Part-Time Swim Instructor, Junior School
Commencing at the beginning of September 2022
Working at The Bishop Strachan School is challenging, exciting and rewarding. It’s also a lot of fun. This is the place to be if you value forward-thinking leadership and enthusiastically embrace a global perspective.
We offer the opportunity to join an exceptional community of professionals and contribute meaningfully to the education of tomorrow’s transformational leaders. As an employer, we focus on building and developing our employees to be the very best at what they do.
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career with BSS.
Summary of Position
We are seeking an energetic, experienced swim instructor looking for a part-time position during the school months of September to June each year. This position will be working with young children from Grades JK to 6 and lifeguarding students up to grade 12. The Swim Instructor supervise the BSS swim programs, perform lifeguard and in-service training in the pool.
Hours of Work
- 7:00 am to 11:00 am (Monday to Friday) *Only working on school days
- Additional hours may be required from time-to-time.
- Assists in the implementation of goals and training programs
- Prepping pool deck equipment for each class
- Ensures enforcement of water safety standards
- Supervises the change room
- Regularly inspects the pool for any physical flaws and tests chemical compositions every 2 hours
- Ensures ropes, equipment, life jackets etc. are kept in an orderly fashion and in good repair.
- Advises facility staff of any maintenance issues
- Attends to any emergency calls
- Liaises with academic staff regarding student progress
- Assists with swim team practices and participates in coaching
- Communicates regularly with housekeeping pool staff regarding changes in class schedules
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging into all processes
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Participates in professional learning and growth
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Experience as an Instructor in an educational, public recreation or camp setting is ideal.
- Current National Lifeguard, Red Cross/Lifesaving Society Instructor, First Aid and CPR certificates are required.
- Understanding of and proven track record operating and a safe pool environment
- Experience working and leading children in aquatics
- Experience working with collaborative team environments
- General pool maintenance knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines
- Flexibility, organization and ability to multi-task
- Culturally competent with a positive attitude toward cultural uniqueness and a readiness to accept and respect others
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies at BSS:
- Respect and care
- Trust and integrity
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Community focused
BSS Values Diversity
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Part-Time Swim Instructor in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
We are committed to providing an accessible experience and an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Assistant, Human Resources and Finance at 416-483-4325, ext. 4207 or by email at email@example.com. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.