Friday, May 26, 2023
The Town of New Tecumseth is looking for 17 Instructor/Lifeguards to join our seasonal aquatics team at the outdoor Alliston Rotary Pool.
Under the guidance and direction of the Coordinator, Fitness & Aquatics, and Head Instructor/Lifeguard, Instructor/Lifeguards are responsible for providing the residents a safe an enjoyable aquatic experience while ensuring that rules and order are maintained. This position works to prevent accidents, provide any required first aid treatment, and respond to aquatic emergencies should an incident occur. As instructors the Instructor/Lifeguard are to provide participants with high caliber instructional lessons using instructional/lifeguarding certifications to teach in Ontario program while promoting water safety.
- Be prepared to teach the assigned lessons. Arrange equipment before the lesson starts.
- Take attendance and other pertinent information each day.
- Instructors must stay with their participants until a qualified staff person relieves them.
- Complete all necessary forms, cards and papers by the required date (e.g. lesson plans, evaluation forms).
- Maintain order, safety and discipline during lessons.
- Report any equipment deficiencies to the Coordinator, Fitness & Aquatics, and/or the Head Guard Instructor/Lifeguard.
- Remain on duty until relieved by another qualified lifeguard.
- Educate the public with safety rules.
- Assist with the maintaining of order and discipline in all areas.
- Attendance at all in-service training is mandatory.
- At a minimum attending high school
- Must be 16 years or older by hire date
- Requires National Lifeguard Service (NLS) lifeguarding certification
- Requires Lifesaving Society (LSS) Swim Instructor qualification
- Requires Standard First Aid with CPR-C certification
- Ability to submit a clean Police Record Check, Vulnerable sector Check where appropriate, upon hire
- Requires at least 6 months’ experience in an aquatic environment
- Knowledge of the day-to-day structure of an aquatic environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with both written and verbal communication.
- Commitment to providing a socially inclusive environment, responding with sensitivity to the diverse needs of others
Salary: $16.04 - $17.91 (2022 rates), plus 4% vacation pay
Hours: 40 hours per week – Pool operations are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week
• Start date: June 5
• Training dates: throughout June – dates to be confirmed upon hire
• Canada Day Event/Pool Opens: July 1
• Pool Closes: September 3
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and copies of the required credentials (certifications, etc). This posting will remain open until all positions are filled.
We thank you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Information collected will be used solely for the purpose of candidate selection, in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act.
The Town of New Tecumseth is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.