Basic First Aid features the first aid content distributed across the Rookie, Ranger, and Star awards in the Canadian Swim Patrol program. Basic First Aid (3-4 hr.) includes how to contact emergency medical services, rescue breathing, how to treat choking and minor injuries.
Evaluation & certification: Current Emergency First Aid Instructors or Standard First Aid Instructors evaluate and certify candidates.
Candidate recognition: Certification card.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize when and how to call emergency medical services (EMS).
- Demonstrate primary assessment including hazards and ABCs of an unconscious, breathing victim.
- Demonstrate rescue breathing with a victim of the candidate's choice or with a manikin.
- Simulate the appearance and treatment of a conscious victim with an obstructed airway.
- Demonstrate primary assessment and emergency care for a victim in shock.
- Demonstrate primary assessment and appropriate care for external bleeding.