If you are a Grade 3 teacher and your students are participating in the Swim to Survive School Grant Program you are in the right place. The information below will provide you with all the tools you need to deliver Water Smart drowning prevention education to your students and includes important information for parents about Swim to Survive.
There are three aspects to the Lifesaving Society's Swim to Survive program:
- Three in-water lessons - 1 hour each in length
- Three in-classroom curriculum-based lessons
- Parent education about Swim to Survive
We expect that you will teach the three in-classroom lessons. Everything you need is below. If you have any questions email Lori Groves or call 416-490-8844.
Swim to Survive Video - English, French and eight other languages.
Classroom Teacher Resources
Swim to Survive Video - click here
Intro and Timeline / Version française
Lesson 1 (PDF) / Version française
Lesson 1 appendices (PDF) / Version française
Lesson 2 (PDF) / Version française
Lesson 2 appendices (PDF) / Version française
Lesson 3 (PDF) / Version française
Lesson 3 appendices (PDF) / Version française
Parent Communications (information to send home to parents):
Posters (to post in your classroom)
Swim to Survive (PDF)
Ice Thickness Poster (PDF)
Classroom Teacher Survey - n/a
Student Survey - n/a
Classroom Curriculum-Based Lesson Timeline
Parent/Guardian information and permission
- Copy and send home the “Dear parent/guardian” letter about the program (available in 9 languages online).
- Send home your school board’s Field Trip form to get parent/guardian permission.
Program information for students
In-class Lesson #1 – “Be Water Smart”
- Appendix 1A – copy on 11” x 18” paper for posting.
- Appendix 1B – copy on 11” x 18” paper for posting and/or on 8.5” x 11” paper for individuals/small groups.
In-class Lesson #2 – “Act right on or near ice”
- Appendices 2A and 2B – copy on 11" x 18” paper for posting and class activity.
- Display the poster “recommended minimum ice thickness for new clear hard ice” (1 provided) and hand out cards for students to take home (35 provided).
- Appendices 2C and 2D – copy on 11" x 18” paper for posting and/or 8.5” x 11” paper for individuals/small groups.
- Send home parent/guardian handouts “Can your child survive an unexpected fall into deep water?” (35 individual copies provided. Available in nine additional languages online).
In-water lessons #1–3
- Students learn the three essential skills needed to survive an unexpected fall into deep water (roll tread and swim 50 metres) from a certified instructor (approximately one hour per session).
In-class Lesson #3 – “Live Water Smart” and Summative Task
- Appendix 3A – copy on 11” x 18” paper for posting.
- Appendix 3B – copy on 11” x 18” paper for posting and/or 8.5” x 11” paper for individuals/small groups.
- Appendix 3C – copy on 8.5” x 11” paper as a summative assessment tool.
Teacher Evaluations of the Program