This agreement outlines the services and benefits of affiliate membership and the responsibilities of both the Lifesaving Society Ontario and its Affiliate Members.
The Lifesaving Society is a full-service provider of programs, products and services designed to prevent drowning. We save lives and prevent water-related injury through our training programs, Water Smart® public education, drowning research, aquatic safety management and lifesaving sport.
We are a national volunteer organization and registered charity composed of ten provincial / territorial branches, tens of thousands of individual members, and over 4,000 affiliated swimming pools, waterfronts, schools and clubs.
The Lifesaving Society is a leader and partner in the delivery of water safety education throughout Canada and around the world. We represent Canada in the Commonwealth Royal Life Saving Society and we are Canada’s Full Member in the International Life Saving Federation. The Lifesaving Society takes lead responsibility for drowning prevention in Canada.
The Lifesaving Society is the Canadian governing body for lifesaving sport – a sport recognized by the International Olympic Committee and the Commonwealth Games Federation.
Affiliate Members (“affiliates”) of the Lifesaving Society Ontario include individuals, municipalities, Ys, camps, boards of education, individual schools, colleges, universities, and private organizations. Affiliates play an essential role in delivering the Society’s swim, lifesaving, lifeguarding, first aid and leadership training programs and other services to the public, their members or clients. As voting members of the Society, affiliates also give direction concerning affiliate and community needs and program revisions.
Affiliate membership is based on the calendar year January to December. Affiliate Members that operate more than one facility list each facility on the registration form. The affiliation fee is based on the number of facilities.
We invite all Affiliate Members to make full use of the programs and services offered by the Lifesaving Society Ontario.
Services Available to Affiliate Members
The many benefits enjoyed by Affiliate Members include:
- Affiliate membership entitles your organization to offer our training programs in accordance with the Society’s Program Guide and to present candidates for examination when applicable.
- Only Affiliate Members are eligible for a license to offer the Society’s Swim for Life program.
- Swim to Survive, Lifesaving Sport Fundamentals, Inside Tracker licenses are included with Affiliate membership.
- Affiliate Members enjoy credit privileges that allows for the ordering of materials and award processing with a 30-day credit term. Terms and conditions do apply.
- Affiliate Members may establish an account at the Society’s online store (LifeguardDepot.com) for 24/7 shopping convenience and invoicing direct to your account.
- Affiliate Members may obtain Lifesaving Society awards in advance for presentation on the day of examination.
- Affiliate Members can submit their upcoming Lifesaving Society training courses for inclusion in Find a Course at www.lifesavingsociety.com at no charge.
- Affiliate members receive preferred rates for advertising job openings on Find a Job at www.lifesavingsociety.com.
- Affiliate Members receive preferred Affiliate Member rates for aquatic safety audit services. These services are provided by the Lifesaving Society to maximize the safety of participants in aquatic recreational facilities.
- Affiliate Members receive immediate post-incident management advice and resources from the Lifesaving Society.
- Affiliate Members are eligible to register competitors in sanctioned lifeguard and lifesaving competitions. Additional fees may apply.
- Each Affiliate Member may send two voting delegates to the annual meeting of the Lifesaving Society Ontario.
- Affiliate Members receive the Society’s newsletter Lifeliner that highlights developments, technical information, resources and issues related to lifesaving, lifeguarding, leadership training as well as Water Smart® education and aquatic risk management.
- Lifesaving Society representatives are available to Affiliate Members throughout the year to assist instructors, lifeguards and programmers. Assistance is available from Lifesaving Society Area Chairs for training and locating Examiners.
Affiliate Members are also eligible for additional programs and enhanced services outlined here.
Responsibilities of Affiliate Members
Affiliate Members shall:
Quality and safety management
- Maintain a safe environment suitable for delivering Lifesaving Society programs and services, at minimum in accordance with operating standards of the Ontario Ministry of Health.
- Use currently certified Lifesaving Society Instructors, Coaches, Examiners and Instructor Trainers to deliver Lifesaving Society programs.
- Prior to the start of courses, confirm that candidates for Lifesaving Society awards hold the prerequisites required by the Society.
- Use all required Lifesaving Society resources and manuals for all Lifesaving Society programs.
- Respect the Society’s copyright on its intellectual property. Affiliates shall not reproduce content, in whole or in part, from Lifesaving Society resources and literature by any means unless specifically authorized to do so in writing by the Society.
- Maintain adequate liability insurance to protect their employees.
- Abide by all applicable privacy legislation.
Administration and financial management
- Abide by Lifesaving Society policies and procedures respecting the Society programs.
- Complete within 2 weeks of the course end date, the administrative functions related to Lifesaving Society program delivery.
- Adhere to Lifesaving Society visual identity guidelines and refrain from altering Lifesaving Society trademarked or licensed images.
- Use correct Lifesaving Society program names when advertising (e.g., “Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross”).
- Maintain their Lifesaving Society financial accounts up to date with prompt payment of all invoices (i.e., within 30 days). Affiliates whose accounts are not up to date jeopardize the good standing of their membership and risk losing the benefits of this agreement.
Responsibilities of the Lifesaving Society
The Lifesaving Society shall:
- Offer, provide and support the programs, products and services outlined in Services Available to Affiliates (here) and any additional services affiliates opt for (here).
- Maintain the necessary commercial general liability insurance that includes product and complete operations in the aggregate amount of $5,000,000. Affiliate Members who wish to be named as an additional insured on said policy are asked to put this request in writing outlining your requirements.
- Indemnify and save harmless its affiliates, owners, directors, stakeholders and representatives from and against any losses, liens, charges, claims, demands, suits, proceedings, recoveries and judgments arising from or related to the Lifesaving Society on performance or non-performance arising out of its operations.
Terms of the Affiliate Member Agreement
Affiliate membership and licences are invoiced annually and renew upon payment of the membership fee and acceptance of the terms of this agreement. Written notice is required to cancel Affiliate membership.
Non-payment of fees may result in temporary suspension of accounts and delays in processing certification or fulfillment of orders.
Changes to this agreement may be made with the mutual consent of both parties.
This agreement may be revoked by either party upon breach of the terms of this agreement. If one party breaches the terms of the agreement, the other party must indicate in writing the terms of the breach and request immediate remedy.
Membership may be revoked at the Lifesaving Society’s discretion if there is evidence that the Affiliate member has been convicted of a crime or has been involved in fraudulent activities.
Termination of this agreement or any of its associated license agreements will not affect any commitments made prior to termination, in respect of which this agreement shall continue until all obligations have been performed.
Additional Services Available to Affiliate Members
To learn more about the program licenses and services below, or to add the service to your affiliate membership, please email us at AffiliateMembers@lifeguarding.com.
Lifesaving Society Swim Program License
The Lifesaving Society Swim for Life program (swim program) is a learn-to-swim progression that leads seamlessly into the Society’s lifesaving and lifeguarding training programs. Additional fees apply.
Lifesaving Society Loyalty Program
The Lifesaving Society offers a loyalty rewards program only to Affiliate Members. The Society will issue credit note valued at 10% of eligible annual purchases to Affiliate Members who sign a 5-year Swim for Life License AND who exclusively offer the Lifesaving Society training and leadership programs. Affiliates need not offer all Society training programs (swim, first aid, instructors/trainers/examiners, lifesaving and lifeguarding), but must not offer any competing programs within their aquatic department. Full terms and conditions available upon request.
Buck slip program
Organizations may pay a fee to advertise job vacancies to selected award holders in selected areas of Ontario.
Safety Management Services
- Architectural Plan Review
- Topical Aquatic Safety Audit
- Comprehensive Aquatic Safety Audit
- SEE Evaluations Checklist Report
- Aquatic Safety Inspections
- Aquatic Facility Accreditation
- Legal Case Review
- Incident Review
The 2024 Price List is posted for convenient reference in Find a Form at lifesavingsociety.com.
Aussi disponible en français.