Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainers > Swim for Life Instructor Trainer
Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainers transition to Swim for Life Instructor Trainer certification by completing the Swim Transition Instructor clinic and then a Branch-coordinated Lifesaving Society Trainer course.
Swim Transition Instructor clinic: The self-guided, online clinic provides an orientation to the Society’s Swim for Life program. The clinic will be available in English and in French at e-lifesaving.ca / e-sauvetage.ca. The clinic might also be offered in your province/territory in a synchronous online or in-person format.
Lifesaving Society Trainer course: The Trainer course introduces the principles and structure of the Lifesaving Society competency-based leadership system; and focuses on the curriculum knowledge, skill sets, techniques and resources needed to successfully plan and deliver a Lifesaving Society instructor course.
The Trainer course for WSITs will incorporate the Swim for Life Trainer Orientation module that focuses on the information needed to successfully plan and deliver the Lifesaving Society Swim for Life Instructor course. Contact the Lifesaving Society office in your province/territory for information on the process.
The Lifesaving Society does not charge for the Swim Transition Instructor clinic or for the Trainer Orientation module. The Society will waive the Trainer certification fee, but you must purchase the relevant Swim for Life Instructor and Trainer resources.
This transition path ends December 31, 2022. If you do not complete the Swim Transition Instructor clinic and the Lifesaving Society Trainer course in 2022, you would be required to successfully follow the normal Lifesaving Society procedures to earn Swim for Life Instructor Trainer status and pay the relevant certification fees.
Register for a Trainer Course
To register for a Swim Transition Trainer Course:
- Send a digital copy of your Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer certification to email@example.com.
- Complete the Swim Transition Instructor Clinic (STIC) at e-lifesaving.ca / e-sauvetage.ca and send the completed certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: if you already hold a Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor certification, then you do not need to complete the STIC).
- Register for your preferred course by clicking a date below and completing the registration form.
- Ensure you have the Required Resources (listed below), all available from LifeguardDepot.com.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your prerequisites have been verified. This verification process may take up to one week; if there are any issues with prerequisites, you will be contacted.
2022 Swim Transition Trainer Courses (all Eastern Time)
- Jul. 11 (5:00–9:00pm) and Jul. 18 (5:00–9:00 pm) Register
- Jul. 27 (5:00–9:00pm) and Aug. 3 (5:00–9:00pm) Register
- Aug. 6 (9:00am–1:00pm) and Aug. 13 (9:00am–1:00pm) Register
- Aug. 9 (9:00am–1:00pm) and Aug. 11 (9:00am–1:00pm) Register
- Aug. 10 (5:00–9:00pm) and Aug. 17 (5:00–9:00pm) Register